Monday 3 December 2007

The Day after the Night Before

...or something like that.
The day after rehearsals for 'Everyday Fairytales' has traditionally gone something like this:
1. Rehearsal photos are posted on Facebook.
2. Everyone makes witty comments about said photos.
3. Juliette emails me lots of ideas and questions arising from rehearsal.
4. I realise how much still has to be done.
Today 3 and 4 came before 1 and 2, as I have just got back from a long day of reading scripts for Menagerie Theatre Company (I work there part time as their 'Literary Associate' - sounds a lot more glamorous than it actually is) and attending meetings for Horseshoe Theatre Company (for whom I'm directing a devised piece at the Round Church next Easter), and am just beginning to download photos from my father's snazzy new camera. We got some lovely shots, and some embarrassing ones too (in one episode I play a snake-like 'temptress', and we rehearsed my scene with Chris yesterday - it's very hard pretending to seduce your good friend of eight years!). We also got this photo of Radha's son Manu, who brought his play-dough to rehearsal and was generally adored by all of us:
So much for 1 and 2. As for 3 - Juliette always reminds me of all the things that I think of during rehearsal and neglect to jot down. Such as - how characters are going to 'appear' on Christs Pieces or how any characters that may or may not die (I'm trying not to ruin Saturday's show for anyone who may be coming along!) will be transported to a 'backstage' area. And more often than not, I find it's the simplest solution that is the best.
But, as ever, there's always tonnes to be done still before the opening performance. We're several costumes short of a full wardrobe, so I'm going to be spending my Friday hunting around charity shops for grey coats, and picking out leaves and twigs from my garden to go into tree imps' hair (the actors are going to love that). But I know it will all get done in the end.
It's not just 'Everyday Fairytales' that's all go go go. 'Beowulf' launched last weekend and we're now into the beginning stages of marketing, as the lovely Janet Cornish - secretary of the Cambridge Preservation Society - has been in touch asking for blurb for various newsletters. And the script is well underway: we had two extracts read by local actors Gary Mackay, Matt Brown and Juliette at the launch and got some very positive and constructive feedback on them. Now to write the rest of the script!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Busy busy busy! The hard work will pay off honey, we can't wait! I'm even excited about the twigs in the hair x